- Heavy indictable work
- Prosecution and Defence.
Areas of Practice
Andrew practises in serious crime. He is routinely instructed in heavy indictable work, in particular in the presentation of very complex and difficult multi-handed prosecutions, and also to defend very grave allegations. Cases in which Mr Ford appears are frequently reported, as below:
- Attorney General's Reference No.146 of 2002 (Robert Stewart)  2 Cr.App.R(S) 107 possession with intent to supply Class A drugs; where mistaken belief in nature of drugs;
- R v Mair  1 Cr.App.R(S) 110 causing death by dangerous driving; where no aggravating features;
- R v Hurrell  2 Cr.App.R(S) 23 defending police officer; where offer to bribe made, sentence reduced
- Operation Binbrook R v JG & Others ;  EWCA Crim 1521; successful prosecution appeal against Terminating Ruling by trial Judge to stop the case against 6 drug traffickers; Judge reversed on Appeal, trial proceeded, 6 convictions followed.
- R v Armstrong  EWCA Crim 1299 - dealing in Class A drugs - successfully quashed conviction upon failure of Judge to direct the jury on lies.
- R v Greig Newlands  EWCA Crim 3320 - very long sentence for kidnapping reduced, where on Licence durting sentence for previous Kidnapping offence; victim placed in pit in ground then driven 40 miles at knifepoint;
- R v Bradley Beveridge & others  EWCA Crim 1802, successful prosecution in the Appeal of Liverpool Norris Green gun gang, high profile armed robberies; on deterrent sentencing.
- Attorney General's Reference No.35 of 2007 (Mark Hird)  1 Cr.App. R (s) 26 firearm with intent to endanger life, prosecuted at first instance, succesfully referred to Attorney General
- R v Sam Taylor  EWCA Crim 1153- sentence for street robbery reduced significantly;
- R v Barlow & ors - Prosecuting a drugs baron and his gang who were accused of trafficking millions of pounds worth cocaine and heroin across the UK and who were caught after a complex police surveillance operation. Very long sentences imposed.
- R v Brown - Prosecuting a man accused of grooming and trying to incite an underage child into sexual activity.
- R v Taylor and Taylor - Defending the son of a lady who stole over £150,000 from her employers and passed much of the proceeds on to her son.
- R v Mohammed - Defending a taxi driver accused of raping a male passenger.
- R v Karen Southern - Successfully prosecuted manager of Care Home for the Elderly, where 90 year old frail woman found crawling naked on squalid floor; insufficiently hydrated and later died. Home run by BUPA, who instructed Queens Counsel to defend the allegations. Very High Profile Case. See the Times 17th March 2012.
- R v Cadman - Prosecuting a man found guilty of possessing over 10,000 images of child abuse.
- R v Waterhouse - Prosecution of a man who abused four young girls. Sentenced to eight years in prison at first instance, referred to the Attorney General where sentenced increased significantly. - completed April 2016
- R v Milne and Parry - Conviction of two men for the sequential rapes of teenage girl in churchyard after two week trial.