- Road Traffic Cases, including the more specialist areas of fraud, low velocity impacts and credit hire.
- Public Liability Claims, with a particular emphasis on highway tripping claims.
- Occupier's Liability
- Employer's Liability, including industrial disease and exposure to hazadous substances
- Product Liability
Peter Harthan is routinely involved at all stages of litigation, from the provisions of preliminary advice through to the conclusion at trial.
Peter Harthan is regularly instructed to draft pleading, schedules, and advices in respect of both liability and quantum in all of the aforementioned areas.
Peter has recently been instructed in the following high value cases;
- A brain injury caused by negligent exposure to Carbon Monoxide poisioning leading to life changing symptoms.
- A complex wrist fracture leading to a sizeable claim for disadvantage on the open labour market, loss of earning and PSLA.
- A fairground accident ride malfunction causing multiple injuries.
- Partial loss of a foot following a Fork Lift Truck injury.
- Poisoning by exposure to hazardous chemicals in cleaning product production.
- Severe crushing injury resulting in permanent functional loss of arm.
- "We have instructed Peter on a number of difficult matters and I have been impressed with his grasp of the fine detail and his sound and pragmatic advice. We had a successful outcome to a Personal Injury case recently where liability was disputed and he was instrumental in achieving this result." John Ainley, Senior Partner, North Ainley Halliwell
- "Peter Harthan" is an engaging and brave advocate. If he beleives he is right then he sticks to his guns and really fights for his clients. He is thorough, pragmatic and user friendly. He has a good grasp of Credit Hire Law and is tenacious but at the same time, where required, measured and is a steady pair of hands. An impresive performer" Kevin Coyne, Partner Coyne Learmonth
- "Peter is a very good barrister who has always dealt with matters for me on a swift, efficient and thorough basis. He also has a realistic and sensible view towards retainers and fees. I have had no hesitation in recommending him to colleagues within the firm." David Hughes, Solicitor, Minards Pavlou
- "Despite an independent witness, who was a driving instructor, blaming my motorcyclist client for the rta, Peter was prepared to represent my client on a CFA at Trial. The result was a 100% win for the client who phoned me the next day to thank me for instructing such an excellent barrister", Rita Krumins, Partner, Canter Levin & Berg
Please follow this link to read all of Mr Harthan's Testimonials.
Areas of Practice
A specialist Personal Injury Practitioner who practices across all areas of Civil Litigation including contracutal disputes, employment law, personal injury, employer's liability, occupier's liability and product liability. He acts for both Claimants and Defendants.
Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall) - Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) 2:1 1997
Manchester Grammar School, 1987- 1994 A Level Maths, Politics and British Government & Politics all Grade 'A'
Captain of the Liverpool Barristers Cricket Team since 2009
Plays football for the Liverpool Ramblers, Usually on the 4th XI
Qualified Rugby League Level 1 coach
Available on Request