Welcome to the 7HS news area where we provide contributions from many of our leading Barristers. Search or filter by team on the right hand menu
16 October 2013

Killer stabbed step-grandmother to death, Jail for man who killed pensioner, Company Fraud

Killer stabbed step-grandmother to death, Jail for man who killed pensioner, Company Fraud
16 October 2013

Killer stabbed step-grandmother to death, Jail for man who killed pensioner, Company Fraud

Killer stabbed step-grandmother to death, Jail for man who killed pensioner, Company Fraud

Killer stabbed step-grandmother to death after watching porn featuring mature women

A young man who stabbed his step-grandmother to death in a sexually motivated attack after watching hard-core pornography online was facing life in jail last night.

Retired nurse Janis Dundas, 62, was murdered by homeless Jack Huxley, then 20, just hours after she gave him a place to stay.

In the middle of the night, Huxley, who was high on drugs and vodka, logged onto her laptop and spent three hours viewing explicit pornography, showing sexual activity between young men and mature women.

Huxley, whom Mrs Dundas treated as a blood relative, cut her throat and stabbed her up to 30 times as she slept in bed.

It was unclear whether Huxley, who had never had a girlfriend, sexually assaulted his victim before or after she died, but she was discovered almost naked and forensic evidence indicated the killing was sexually motivated.

Stuart Lawson Rogers QC, prosecuting, told the court that the attack happened in the early hours of April 5, hours after Mrs Dundas out of the goodness of her heart agreed for Huxley to sleep on the living-room floor of her one-bedroom flat, in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire.

Huxley, the son of Mrs Dundass daughters partner, had been wandering the streets after moving out of his grandparents home a few weeks earlier because they were unable to cope with his mood swings and drug and alcohol problems.

Article Source: Daily Mail 

4 and a half year jail sentence for speeding Carlisle man who killed pensioner

Kenneth John Graham, 67, didnt stand a chance, Carlisle Crown Court heard, when he was hit crossing the road in Newtown Road in Carlisle on May 12 last year.

At Carlisle Crown Court, Paul Robertson, who admitted causing death by dangerous driving, was sent to prison for four and a half years.

The court heard how Robertson, who was driving behind a friend at 9.30pm on a Saturday night, nearly collided with another car and drove on the wrong side of the road for some distance before he struck Mr Graham.

Prosecutor Andrew Ford said witnesses thought he was driving at speeds of up to 50mph and said he was revving his engine.

He said Mr Graham flew 20 yards, his head struck the windscreen and he suffered massive injuries. He was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to the nearby Cumberland Infirmary where he died.

Robertson also admitted possessing around 4,000 pornographic pictures of children. Fifteen were level four – the second highest classification.

Robertson was jailed for three and a half years for causing death by dangerous driving and 12 months for eight child pornography offences.

Article Source: News and Star

Former businessman on trial accused of fraud totalling more than £330,000

Anthony, John Ansell, 59, has pleaded not guilty to 34 charges of fraud at Carlisle Crown Court.

Ansell is accused of writing cheques he was not entitled to sign between June 2008 and November 2010.

The prosecution allege that Ansell was set up as the unpaid site manager and accountant of Greengarth Business Park, Holmrook, by two business associates.

Prosecution barrister Andrew Ford said: Ansell would be given free use of the office, a company car, and some expenses, on the understanding that he would do the accounts.

However, the court heard that in spring 2011 it came to the attention of his associates that a substantial utility bill had gone unpaid. They could not contact Ansell so went to the bank to try and find the root of the problem.

The bank informed them that there was a cheque made out to a stock broker that had both of their signatures on it. They confirmed that the signatures were not theirs, and contacted the police.

Mr Ford added: The companys (Greengarth) directors spent a lot of time travelling abroad and not a lot of time on the site.

In the early 2000s they engaged the defendant to maintain the business park and all three of them knew each other prior to this. Its a central part of the prosecution that these two directors trusted the defendant.

The trial continues.


Article Source: Cumberland News


Posted by Editor


Posted by


With 48 Barristers operating across 6 specialist groups offering a fast, efficient advisory service

More about Civil Law


67 Barristers specialising in Criminal Law offering expert advocacy at all times

More about Criminal Law


From leading Queen's Counsel to experienced and flexible juniors covering every aspect of family law

More about Family Law