Prosecution and Defence
Between 1995 and 2012 prosecuted on behalf of the Crown Prosecution Service and the Trading Standards Authority as well as defended private clients. Trial work included cases of homicide and serious violence, fraud, robbery, drug trafficking, rape and serious sexual offences, money laundering, copyright and trademark infringement, and the confiscation of criminally acquired assets. Door tenant since 2014. Level 4 prosecuting counsel.
May 2016 – July 2017
Criminal Justice Adviser (Counter-Terroism) attached to the British High Commission, Abuja, Nigeria
July 2012 – May 2016
Seconded by the UK Stabilisation Unit to the European Union Rule of Law Mission, Kosovo where he worked as a specialist prosecutor, investigating and prosecuting serious and politically sensitive cases involving corruption, counter-terrorism, organised crime and war crimes. Head of the Organised Crime Section from November 2013 and thereafter, Head of the War Crimes Section until May 2016.
April – May 2012
Criminal Justice Advisor to UNICEF Tanzania. Designed and delivered a referral mechanism programme to divert juveniles out of the Tanzanian Criminal Justice System.
February – July 2011
Criminal Justice Advisor for University of Essex based at Coram Children’s Legal Centre, Republic of Tajikistan where he designed and implemented a series of training and capacity building seminars that were delivered to senior Tajik Judges, Prosecutors and Investigators. The seminars addressed the law and procedure relating to human trafficking and the proper treatment of children in conflict with the law.
Criminal Bar Association
Bar Human Rights Committee of England and Wales
Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
Security and Justice Sector Reform Core Course, European Security and Defence College, October 2015
Investigation of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Course, Institute of International Criminal Investigations, The Hague, June 2014
Notable National Cases
- R v Hanson & Another (Liverpool) – Led Junior in a murder of another outside a Liverpool nightclub.
- R v Bull & Others (Liverpool) – Led Junior prosecuting a serious fraud involving large scale asset stripping.
- R v Richards & Others (Carlisle) – Defended in a large scale conspiracy to supply class A drugs.
- R v Eccleston (Liverpool) – Prosecuted for Trading Standards a large scale copyright infringement case.
- R v Southhall (Liverpool) – Led Junior prosecuting case of multiple rape of Defendant’s nieces and disabled daughter.
- R v Elliot (Carlisle) – Defended in case involving arson and perverting the course of justice.
- R v Hales (Carlisle) – Defended in child cruelty case involving abuse of the Defendant’s three children.
- R v Sowerby (Carlisle) – Prosecuted historic indecency and attempted buggery of two boys.