- Criminal Defence
- Civil Actions Against the Police
- Disciplinary Tribunals
- Firearms Law
"Highly recommended for defending in high-profile murder and fraud trials" (Legal 500 2018) Ranked Tier 1
"An experienced defence practitioner with a good number of Court of Appeal appearances under his belt. He is on the list of approved counsel authorised to represent defendants and victims before the International Criminal Court at The Hague."
Strengths: Jonathan is a really safe pair of hands and a good solid advocate who commands respect."
Recent work: Successfully defended a person accused of rape.
(Chambers and Partners 2018)
"An experienced defence practitioner with a good number of Court of Appeal appearances under his belt. He is on the list of approved counsel authorised to represent defendants and victims before the International Criminal Court at the Hague" Recent Work: Appeared in the Court of Appeal, Successfully appealing against a sentence imposed in respect of offences of rape and other sexual offences against a child. (Chambers and Partners 2017)
"Focuses primarily on defending cases in both the Crown Court and Court of Appeal. His experience covers cases relating to drug importation and distribution, serious sexual offences and homicides. Recent Work: Successfully represented a defendant who had been charged with a murder committed in the course of a burglary at the home of an elderly individual. (Chambers and Partners 2015)
"A highly experienced defence counsel in the Crown Court and Court of Appeal" (Legal 500 2016) Ranked: Tier 1
"Very personable, calm and reassuring" (Legal 500 2015) Ranked: tier 1
"Jonathan Duffy - Well known for his appellate work" (Legal 500 2014)
Areas of Practice
Jonathan Duffy was called to The Bar by Gray's Inn in 2002.
His Criminal Practice is almost exclusively focused on defending in The Crown Court and Court of Appeal. He is appointed to the panel of prosecuting Counsel (at Grade 4) but he very rarely prosecutes.
He has defended in some extremely high profile trials in recent years, notably that involving the principal Defendant accused of the Murder of Rhys Jones in Liverpool and those of Dennis Slade, accused of conspiring with others to commit Murder and Robbery in Leeds.
Mr Duffy is also frequently instructed in Appeals to the Crown Court concerning Firearms and Shotgun Certification revocation. Chief Officers of Police are increasingly revoking certificates on the basis of historic or unsupported information and recently, Mr Duffy has assisted many clients successfully challenge such decisions.
He is a registered Pupil Supervisor and is authorised by the Bar Council to accept instructions directly from the Public in appropriate cases.
He also sits, part-time, as a Judge in the Mental Health Tribunal in England and also in Wales.
To provide a flavour of his practice, brief details of some of the cases in which he has appeared recently are set out below.
Mr Duffy is one of a small number of UK Barristers admitted to the list of advocates authorised to appear before the International Criminal Court at The Hague in cases of War Crime, Genocide and crimes against humanity
- R v Bessell (2017) Client pleaded guilty to ten offences charged under The Computer Misuse Act where Mr Duffy's client is said to have successfully hacked Google, Skype, and other websites.
- R v CGM (2017) Case against client initially stayed as abuse of process following legal argument. Re-instated by The Court of Appeal following Prosecution Appeal of Terminating Ruling, Client acquitted at trial before a Jury.
- R v Heather Manfield (2017) Client charged with Fraud by false representation before Crown Court at Mold. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Joseph Adepetun (2017) Prosecuted case of Wounding with Intent following stabbing in Liverpool City centre. Defendant convicted after trial and sentenced to 12 years imprisonment. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-would-kiiller-hero-passer-13585549
- Civil Aviation Authority v Alan Elliott (2017) Prosecuted pilot for low flying over Goodison Park (Everton FC) during a Premier League Match. Convicted.
- R v MI (2015) Client charged with Rape. Acquitted after trial at Manchester Crown Court.
- R v R (2015) Appeal against sentence imposed in respect of offences of Rape and other sexual offences against a child. Appeal before the Court of Appeal successful; sentence reduced.
- R v MW (2015) Defence of former England Football Captain, charged with motoring offences before the Magistrates Court.
- R v JK (2015) Defence of Polish national charged with Rape of girl in Wales. Aquitted after Trial.
- R v DD (2015) Defence of local man charged with historic Rape and Sexual Assault of relative. Acquitted after Trial.
- R v CS (2014) Defence of Caernarfon man charged with historic Rapes of two girls. Acquitted after Trial.
- R v Peter Garrett (2014) Defence of former politician on charges relating to an alleged Pensions Fraud in the course, which the losses/gains were said to have amounted to multi-millions of pounds. Acquitted after trial lasting four months. Prosecution appeal of terminating ruling dismissed at Court of Appeal.
- R v Daniel Farrington (2014) Court of Appeal - Successful Appeal against Sentence.
- R v Lee Stoba  EWCA Crim 2449 Court of Appeal - Successful Appeal against Sentence.
- R v Jamie Hyndley  EWCA Crim 859 Court of Appeal - Successful Appeal against Sentence.
- R v Manuel Wagner (2013) Defence of German National charged in connection with the discovery of human remains following a Murder committed by others. Acquitted at Trial.
- R v Christopher Curren (2013) Defence of a man charged with the Murder of an elderly lady in Wrexham, Wales, during the course of a Burglary at her home. Acquitted at Trial.
- R v DL (2013) Defence of man charged with Rape of his stepdaughter. Acquitted after Trial.
- R v Paul Doughty 2012 Defence of Post Office worker charged before Warrington Crown Court with Theft of Royal Mail valued at ¼ million pounds.
- R v Stephen Blundell 2012 Defence of Principal Defendant in 21 handed drugs conspiracy before The Crown Court at Exeter.
- R v Naveed Anwar 2012 Defence of Post Master at Enfield Post office charged with Theft and False Accounting of £250,000. Wood Green Crown Court
- R v Ryan Doran 2012 Defence of a man charged with Murder at Liverpool Crown Court. Led by Stephen Riordan QC.
- R v Lambert 2012 Defence of man charged with Rape and serious sexual assault against young girl. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Wendy Burns 2012 Defence of a woman charged with the attempted Murder of her husband before Mold Crown Court.
- R v James Blair 2012 Defence of man charged with Murder before The Crown Court at Leeds.
- R v JG 2012 Defence of a woman charged Conspiring to Rape her own daughter (12 years) by introducing her to an established paedophile ring. Acquitted at trial of the principle charges before Reading Crown Court.
- R v Kieran Corrigan 2012 Defence of local man charged with serious assault on co-worker. Acquitted at trial before Caernarvon Crown Court.
- R v Jeffrey Cull 2012 Successful defence of Taxi Driver charged with Causing Death by Careless Driving. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Metcalfe  EWCA Crim 1624 2012 Instructed on Appeal against Sentence before The Court of Appeal (Criminal Division). Appeal Successful.
- R v Anthony Richardson (2012) Instructed on Appeal against Sentence before The Court of Appeal. Appeal Successful
- R v Jordan Bowen 2011 Defendant convicted of Robbery by Jury at Liverpool Crown Court. Instructed to Appeal against conviction on grounds of Judicial Error. Appeal successful. Conviction Quashed.
- R v Scott Davidson 2011 Defence of man charged with Murder following shooting of local debt collector in Frodsham, Cheshire. Led by Richard Pratt QC.
- R v Hargreaves  EWCA Crim 2857 2011 Instructed to Appeal sentence of 11 years imprisonment. Appeal succeeded before The Court of Appeal (Criminal Division), sentence reduced to 8 years.
- R v Evans 2011 Defendant charged with Indecently Assaulting and Raping his daughter over a period of 24 years. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Maximilian Surrey 2011 Defendant charged with Armed Robbery of a commercial premises, armed with a handgun. Acquitted at trial before Liverpool Crown Court.
- R v Kershaw 2011 Defendant (a hairdresser) charged with Rape of former client. Acquitted at trial before Crown Court at Mold.
- R v Dr. Michael Lowens 2011 Instructed to defend local Doctor accused of importing prohibited weapon. Acquitted after trial at The Crown Court at Mold.
- R v Evans 2011 Defended Client charged with Inciting a child to engage in Sexual Activity. Acquitted after trial at The Crown Court at Mold.
- A-G Reference No 60 of 2009 (Appleby & Others)  2 Cr.App.R. (S) 46. Instructed to respond to Attorney-General's reference in what is the leading authority in sentencing 'single punch' manslaughter cases.
- R v Mark McGovern 2010 Defended (led by Stephen Riordan QC) in Conspiracy to Import Class A Drugs with a value of £15m + at Manchester Crown Court.
- R v Ryan Lamb  2010 Instructed to Appeal against sentence of 10 years Imprisonment imposed for series of cash-in-transit robberies committed in Cardiff. Permission to Appeal granted. Appeal dismissed.
- R v Paul Pettit  EWCA Crim 2107 2010 Instructed to Appeal sentence imposed following guilty plea to Dangerous driving. Sentence Reduced.
- R v James Gilmour 2010 Defended Client charged with two counts of Attempted Murder. Case featured on BBC Crimewatch
- R v Philip Cray  EWCA Crim 149 2009 Defended Client, charged with possessing substantial quantities of Class A controlled drugs with intent to supply. Convicted after trial, sentenced to 14 years imprisonment. Successful Appeal against Sentence.
- R v Dillon 2009 Client charged with Rape of new partner before Liverpool Crown Court. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Dennis Slade 2009 Defended Client in two consecutive 8 week long trials at Leeds Crown Court charged with Conspiracy to Murder (led by James Lewis QC) and Conspiracy to Commit Robbery (Led by Andrew Menary QC). Leave to Appeal against conviction and sentence given. Hearing is awaited.
- R v Lesley Sampson 2009 Successfully defended Mrs Sampson, the mother of Britain’s Got Talent Star, George Sampson, on charges contrary to the Environmental Protection Act.
- R v Sean Mercer 2008 Junior Counsel for the defence of 17 years old boy charged with the Murder of Rhys Jones, an 11 year old Liverpool boy. Led by Richard Pratt QC. Convicted after trial.
- R v Roy Baxter 2008 Instructed to Appeal against sentence of 6 years Imprisonment imposed following plea of guilty to Conspiracy to Rob before Lewes Crown Court. Appeal successful. Sentence reduced to 4 ½ years.
- R v Yarsar Butt  EWCA 2105 2008 Instructed to Appeal against 12 year sentence imposed following Guilty Plea to conspiracy to supply Class A controlled drugs at The Crown Court at Leeds. Successful Appeal, sentence reduced to one of 8 years.
- R v Roy Baxter  EWCA Crim 2217 2008 Defended. Client charged with supply of controlled drugs inside HMP Prison Preston. Convicted after trial. Successful Appeal against Conviction. Conviction quashed.
- R v Thomas Lythgoe 2008 Junior Counsel for the defence. Client charged with the Murder (stabbing) of a friend. Led by Stuart Lawson-Rogers QC. Convicted of Manslaughter.
- R v Kenyon 2008 Defended Client at Leeds Crown Court charged with serious sexual assault upon teenage woman by Penetration. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Farrell 2008 Defended client charged in very large conspiracy to cultivate cannabis. Indictment stayed as an abuse of process.
- R v Michael McGunigle  EWCA Crim 383 2008 Instructed to Appeal against total sentence of 6 years imprisonment imposed following conviction for knifepoint robbery of small business and perverting the course of justice. Appeal successful. Sentence reduced from a total of 6 years to a total of 5 years.
- R v Falak Alam 2007 Junior Counsel for the Defence of Client charged with the Murder of a business associate. Pleaded guilty. Led by Neil Flewitt QC.
- R v Duncan Stewart  EWCA Crim 1621 2007 Instructed to Appeal against length of minimum specified period imposed as part of Indeterminate Sentence for Public Protection following conviction for knifepoint robbery. Ten years reduced to eight.
- R v Emma Webster EWCA Crim 619 2007 Instructed to Appeal against sentence of 3 years imprisonment imposed following conviction for theft. W was a nurse, convicted of stealing Pethidine from patients in order to satisfy her own addiction to the drug. Appeal successful. Sentence reduced to 2 years.
- R v MacDonald 2006 Defended 67 years old man at Mold Crown Court charged with sexual assaults against two children aged 11 and 8 years. Acquitted after retrial.
- R v Crawford 2006 Defended 25 years old man accused of gang rape of 20 years old female complainant at a party. Acquitted at trial.
- Attorney-General's Reference No 92 of 2005 (Stephen Patrick Harmon) 2006 Instructed to Respond to Attorney-General’s Reference in case of Defendant sentenced to Drug Treatment Order imposed in respect of Supply of Class A controlled drugs. Prosecution Application that the sentence was unduly lenient was refused.
- R v Alan David Williams  EWCA Crim 1936 2005 Instructed to Appeal against sentence imposed following plea of guilty to Burglary. Appeal Successful. Sentence reduced from 2 ½ years imprisonment to 21 months.