- Criminal Defence
- Civil Actions Against the Police
- Disciplinary Tribunals
- Firearms Law
Strengths: “You know you can absolutely trust his judgement.”
Recent work: Prosecuted a four-handed false imprisonment and Section 18 firearms case.
‘Defends in a range of serious criminal cases’ (Legal 500 2020) Ranked Tier 3 Crime Leading Juniors
“Highly recommended for defending in high-profile murder and fraud trials” (Legal 500 2018) Ranked Tier 1
“An experienced defence practitioner with a good number of Court of Appeal appearances under his belt. He is on the list of approved counsel authorised to represent defendants and victims before the International Criminal Court at The Hague.”
Strengths: Jonathan is a really safe pair of hands and a good solid advocate who commands respect.”
Recent work: Successfully defended a person accused of rape.
(Chambers and Partners 2018)
“An experienced defence practitioner with a good number of Court of Appeal appearances under his belt. He is on the list of approved counsel authorised to represent defendants and victims before the International Criminal Court at the Hague” Recent Work: Appeared in the Court of Appeal, Successfully appealing against a sentence imposed in respect of offences of rape and other sexual offences against a child. (Chambers and Partners 2017)
“Focuses primarily on defending cases in both the Crown Court and Court of Appeal. His experience covers cases relating to drug importation and distribution, serious sexual offences and homicides. Recent Work: Successfully represented a defendant who had been charged with a murder committed in the course of a burglary at the home of an elderly individual. (Chambers and Partners 2015)
“A highly experienced defence counsel in the Crown Court and Court of Appeal” (Legal 500 2016) Ranked: Tier 1
“Very personable, calm and reassuring” (Legal 500 2015) Ranked: tier 1
“Jonathan Duffy – Well known for his appellate work” (Legal 500 2014)
Areas of Practice
Jonathan Duffy was called to The Bar by Gray’s Inn in 2002.
His Criminal Practice is almost exclusively focused on defending in The Crown Court and Court of Appeal. He is appointed to the panel of prosecuting Counsel (at Grade 4) but he rarely prosecutes.
He has defended in some extremely high profile trials, including many cases of Murder (including that involving the principal Defendant accused of the Murder of Rhys Jones in Liverpool), Rape, Serious Drug allegations, Fraud and other serious and grave crime.
Mr Duffy is one of a small number of UK Barristers admitted to the list of advocates authorised to appear before the International Criminal Court at The Hague in cases of War Crime, Genocide and crimes against humanity
Mr Duffy is also frequently instructed in Appeals to the Crown Court concerning Firearms and Shotgun Certification revocation. Chief Officers of Police are increasingly revoking certificates on the basis of historic or unsupported information and recently, Mr Duffy has assisted many clients successfully challenge such decisions.
He is a registered Pupil Supervisor and is authorised by the Bar Council to accept instructions directly from the Public in appropriate cases.
To provide a flavour of his practice, brief details of some of the cases in which he has appeared are set out below
- R v JA 2021 Defendant, a paramedic, charged with ten offences of Rape and Sexual Assault. Acquitted after trial.
- R v JON 2021 Defendant, a Door Supervisor charged with Assaulting a customer occasional actual bodily harm. Acquitted after trial.
- R v PC 2021 Prosecuted Defendant for Causing an Explosion with intent to endanger life.
- R v FA 2020 Defendant in trial lasting 4 weeks of 6 men charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery. Client only man acquitted.
- R v CS 2020 Defended 66 year old motorist who pleaded guilty to causing death by Dangerous Driving.
- R v KH 2020 Defended former police officer charged with historic offences of indecency with children. Acquitted after trial.
- R v CH 2019 Prosecuted 57 year old motorist charged with causing death by careless driving. Convicted after trial.
- R v AB (POCA) 2019 Defended largest ever POCA proceedings involving Bitcoin and Crypto currency. Available amount reduced from £1.1m to Benefit figure
- R v JP 2018 Defended JP, a 19-year-old university student accused of rape at University Halls of residence. Ac-quitted after trial.
- R v DF 2017 Defended client charged with four offences of theft of very high value Jewellery and watches from shops and residential premises in Manchester. Acquitted of all charges after trial.
- R v AB (POCA) 2017 Client pleaded guilty to ten offences charged under The Computer Misuse Act where Mr Duffy’s client is said to have successfully hacked Google, Skype and other such websites.
- R v CGM 2017 Case against client initially stayed as abuse of process following legal argument. Re-instated by The Court of Appeal following Prosecution Appeal of Terminating Ruling, Client acquitted at trial before a Ju-ry.
- R v HM 2017 Client charged with Fraud by false representation before Crown Court at Mold. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Joseph Adepetun 2017 Prosecuted case of Wounding with Intent following stabbing in Liver-pool City centre. Defendant convicted after trial and sentenced to 12 years imprisonment.
- Civil Aviation Authority v Alan Elliott 2017 Prosecuted pilot for low flying over Goodison Park (Everton FC) during a Premier League Match. Convict-ed.
- R v MI 2015 Client charged with Rape. Acquit-ted after trial at Manchester Crown Court.
- R v R 2015 Appeal against sentence im-posed in respect of offences of Rape and other sexual offences against a child. Appeal before the Court of Appeal successful; sentence reduced.
- R v MW 2015 Defence of former England Foot-ball Captain, charged with motoring offences before the Magistrates Court.
- R v JK 2015 Defence of Polish national Charged with Rape of girl in Wales. Acquitted after Trial.
- R v DD 2015 Defence of local man charged with historic Rape and Sexual Assault of relative. Acquitted after Trial.
- R v CS 2014 Defence of Caernarfon man charged with historic Rapes of two girls. Acquitted after Trial.
- R v Peter Garrett 2014 Defence of former politician on charges relating to an alleged Pensions Fraud in the course, which the losses/gains were said to have amounted to multi-millions of pounds. Acquitted after trial lasting four months. Prosecution ap-peal of terminating ruling dis-missed at Court of Appeal.
- R v Daniel Farrington 2014 Court of Appeal – Successful Ap-peal against Sentence.
- R v Lee Stoba  EW-CA Crim 2449 2013 Court of Appeal – Successful Ap-peal against Sentence.
- R v Jamie Hyndley  EW-CA Crim 859 2013 Court of Appeal – Successful Ap-peal against Sentence.
- R v Manuel Wagner 2013 Defence of German National charged in connection with the discovery of human remains following a Murder committed by others. Acquitted at Trial.
- R v Christopher Cur-ran 2013 Defence of a man charged with the Murder of an elderly lady in Wrex-ham, Wales, during the course of a Burglary at her home. Acquitted at Trial.
- R v DL 2013 Defence of man charged with the Rape of his stepdaughter. Acquit-ted after Trial.
- R v Paul Doughty 2012 Defence of Post Office worker charged before Warrington Crown Court with Theft of Royal Mail valued at ¼ million pounds.
- R v Stephen Blundell 2012 Defence of Principal Defendant in 21 handed drugs conspiracy be-fore The Crown Court at Exeter.
- R v Naveed Anwar 2012 Defence of Post Master at Enfield Post office charged with Theft and False Accounting of £250,000. Wood Green Crown Court
- R v Ryan Doran 2012 Defence of a man charged with Murder at Liverpool Crown Court. Led by Stephen Riordan QC.
- R v Lambert 2012 Defence of man charged with Rape and serious sexual assault against young girl. Acquitted at tri-al.
- R v Wendy Burns 2012 Defence of a woman charged with the attempted Murder of her husband before Mold Crown Court.
- R v James Blair 2012 Defence of man charged with Mur-der before The Crown Court at Leeds.
- R v JG 2012 Defence of a woman charged Conspiring to Rape her own daughter (12 years) by introducing her to an established paedophile ring. Acquitted at trial of the principle charges before Reading Crown Court.
- R v Kieran Corrigan 2012 Defence of local man charged with serious assault on co-worker. Ac-quitted at trial before Caernarvon Crown Court.
- R v Jeffrey Cull 2012 Successful defence of Taxi Driver charged with Causing Death by Careless Driving. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Metcalfe  EW-CA Crim 1624 2012 Instructed on Appeal against Sentence before The Court of Appeal (Criminal Division). Appeal Successful.
- R v Anthony Richard-son 2012 Instructed on Appeal against Sentence before The Court of Appeal. Appeal Successful.
- R v Jordan Bowen 2011 Defendant convicted of Robbery by Jury at Liverpool Crown Court. In-structed to Appeal against conviction on grounds of Judicial Error. Appeal successful. Conviction Quashed.
- R v Scott Davidson 2011 Defence of man charged with Mur-der following shooting of local debt collector in Frodsham, Cheshire. Led by Richard Pratt QC.
- R v Har-greaves  EW-CA Crim 2857 2011 Instructed to Appeal sentence of 11 years imprisonment. Appeal succeeded before The Court of Appeal (Criminal Division), sentence reduced to 8 years.
- R v Evans 2011 Defendant charged with Indecently Assaulting and Raping his daughter over a period of 24 years. Ac-quitted at trial.
- R v Maximilian Surrey 2011 Defendant charged with Armed Robbery of a commercial premises, armed with a handgun. Acquitted at trial before Liverpool Crown Court.
- R v Ker-shaw 2011 Defendant (a hairdresser) charged with Rape of former client. Acquit-ted at trial before Crown Court at Mold.
- R v Dr. Michael Lowens 2011 Instructed to defend local Doctor accused of importing prohibited weapon. Acquitted after trial at The Crown Court at Mold.
- R v Evans 2011 Defended Client charged with In-citing a child to engage in Sexual Activity. Acquitted after trial at The Crown Court at Mold.
- A-G Reference No 60 of 2009 (Appleby & Others) 2 Cr. App. R. (S.) 46 2010Instructed to respond to Attorney-General’s reference in what is the leading authority in sentencing ‘single punch’ manslaughter cases.
- R v Mark McGovern 2010 Defended (led by Stephen Riordan QC) in Conspiracy to Import Class A Drugs with a value of £15m + at Manchester Crown Court.
- R v Ryan Lamb  2010 Instructed to Appeal against sentence of 10 years Imprisonment imposed for series of cash-in-transit robberies committed in Car-diff. Permission to Appeal granted. Appeal dismissed.
- R v Paul Pettit  EW-CA Crim 2107 2010 Instructed to Appeal sentence im-posed following guilty plea to Dangerous driving. Sentence Reduced.
- R v James Gilmour 2010 Defended Client charged with two counts of Attempted Murder. Case featured on BBC Crimewatch
- R v Philip Cray  EW-CA Crim 149 2009 Defended Client, charged with possessing substantial quantities of Class A controlled drugs with intent to supply. Convicted after trial, sentenced to 14 years imprisonment. Successful Appeal against Sentence.
- R v Dillon 2009 Client charged with Rape of new partner before Liverpool Crown Court. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Dennis Slade 2009 Defended Client in two consecutive 8 week long trials at Leeds Crown Court charged with Conspiracy to Murder (led by James Lewis QC) and Conspiracy to Commit Robbery (Led by Andrew Menary QC). Leave to Appeal against conviction and sentence given. Hearing is awaited.
- R v Lesley Sampson 2009 Successfully defended Mrs Sampson, the mother of Britain’s Got Talent Star, George Sampson, on charges contrary to the Environmental Protection Act.
- R v Sean Mercer 2008 Junior Counsel for the defence of 17 years old boy charged with the Murder of Rhys Jones, an 11 year old Liverpool boy. Led by Richard Pratt QC. Convicted after trial.
- R v Roy Baxter 2008 Instructed to Appeal against sentence of 6 years Imprisonment im-posed following plea of guilty to Conspiracy to Rob before Lewes Crown Court. Appeal successful. Sentence reduced to 4 ½ years.
- R v Yarsar Butt  EW-CA 2105 2008 Instructed to Appeal against 12 years sentence imposed following Guilty Plea to conspiracy to supply Class A controlled drugs at The Crown Court at Leeds. Successful Appeal, sentence reduced to one of 8 years.
- R v Roy Baxter  EW-CA Crim 2217 2008 Client charged with supply of controlled drugs inside HMP Prison Preston. Convicted after trial. Successful Appeal against Conviction. Conviction quashed.
- R v Thomas Lythgoe 2008 Junior Counsel for the defence. Client charged with the Murder (stabbing) of a friend. Led by Stuart Lawson-Rogers QC. Convicted of Manslaughter.
- R v Kenyon 2008 Defended Client at Leeds Crown Court charged with serious sexual assault upon teenage woman by Penetration. Acquitted at trial.
- R v Farrell 2008 Defended client charged in very large conspiracy to cultivate cannabis. Indictment stayed as an abuse of process.
- R v Michael McGunigle  EW-CA Crim 383 2008 Instructed to Appeal against total sentence of 6 years imprisonment imposed following conviction for knifepoint robbery of small bus-ness and perverting the course of justice. Appeal successful. Sentence reduced.
- R v Falak Alam 2007 Junior Counsel for the Defence of Client charged with the Murder of a business associate. Pleaded guilty. Led by Neil Flewitt QC.
- R v Duncan Stewart  EW-CA Crim 1621 2007 Instructed to Appeal against length of minimum specified period im-posed as part of Indeterminate Sentence for Public Protection fol-lowing conviction for knifepoint robbery. Ten years reduced to eight.
- R v Emma Webster  EW-CA Crim 619 2007 Instructed to Appeal against sentence of 3 years imprisonment im-posed following conviction for theft. W was a nurse, convicted of stealing Pethidine from patients in order to satisfy her own addiction to the drug. Appeal successful. Sentence reduced to 2 years.
- R v Mac-Donald 2006 Defended 67 years old man at Mold Crown Court charged with sexual assaults against two children aged 11 and 8 years. Acquit-ted after retrial.
- R v Craw-ford 2006 Defended 25 years old man accused of gang rape of 20 years old female complainant at a party. Ac-quitted at trial.
- Attorney-General’s Reference No 92 of 2005 (Stephen Patrick Harmon) 2006 Instructed to Respond to Attorney-General’s Reference in case of Defendant sentenced to Drug Treatment Order imposed in respect of Supply of Class A controlled drugs. Prosecution Application that the sentence was unduly lenient was refused.