Matthew acts for both the prosecution and defence in all matters of criminal law including:
- Drug offences;
- Assault offences;
- Sexual offences;
- Dishonesty offences;
- Motoring offences;
He is currently a Level 3 CPS Panel Advocate.
- Operation Colindale  – One of two led juniors for the Prosecution (murder)
- R v AS  – Acquittal of a defendant charged with rape x3
- Operation Moselle  Led junior for the prosecution (conspiracy to supply Class A)
- Operation Pelican  Led junior for the prosecution (conspiracy to kidnap)
- R v JR  – Acquittal of a defendant charged with s20 assault (Carlisle Crown Court)
Matthew joined Chambers in September 2018 following a successful completion of his common law pupillage under the supervision of Mr Fraser Lindsay.
Prior to pupillage Matthew was a Legal Research Assistant working in the disclosure department on behalf of the Claimants in the “Kenyan Emergency Group Litigation” which dealt with human rights abuses against Kenyan nationals during the 1950’s. With over 40,000 claimants, it was one of the largest Group Litigation Orders in Europe.
Manchester Law School BPTC: Very competent
Manchester Law School GDL: Distinction
University of Manchester BA Honours, English Language: 2:1
2016 – Awarded Baron Dr Ver Heyden De Lancey Prize, Middle Temple
2014 – Melissa McDermott Scholarship, Middle Temple
2014 – Winner of UH/Blackstone’s National Criminal Advocacy Competition
2014 – Winner of Manchester Law School Criminal Mock Trial Competition
2013 – Awarded the Oxford University Press Law Prize
Hiking, reading, art, music and doing his best to play the guitar and piano.