Peter Harthan is an experienced and proficient advocate. He takes a mixture of Multi-Track and Fast Track work
Clinical Negligence & Personal Injury
- Clinical Negligence – with particular interest in claims concerning negligent treatment for Gender Dysphoria in young and / or vulnerable patients
- Coroner’s Inquests, particularly in respect of Industrial Disease
- Fatal Accidents
- Serious Orthopaedic and Spinal Injury
- Brain Injury
- Employer’s Liability, including industrial disease and exposure to hazardous substances
- Road Traffic Cases, including the more specialist areas of fraud, low velocity impacts and credit hire
- Public Liability
- Occupier’s Liability
- Product Liability
Mr Harthan regularly takes instruction in high value (>£100k) cases and has acted in;
- Serious injury following an accident at a private dirt bike track where a scrambler flew off a high ridge owing to inadequate signage
- Brain injury caused by negligent exposure to Carbon Monoxide poisoning leading to life changing symptoms
- Fairground accident ride malfunction causing multiple injuries.
- Partial loss of a foot following a Fork Lift Truck injury.
- Poisoning by exposure to hazardous chemicals in cleaning product production.
- Fracture of multiple vertebrae and permanent restriction of movement caused by fall from height.
- Crushing of forearm in an industrial presser causing lifelong disability
Mr Harthan has a growing practice in Employment Law and takes instructions for both Claimants and Respondents appearing in Employment Tribunals and providing written advices.
Mr Harthan has recently acted successfully for Claimants at trial in securing;
- Damages for a Home Office civil servant for failure to pay her as agreed in her contract of employment
- Damages for Unfair Dismissal for senior nursing staff at Whiston Hospital
- Damages for Unfair Dismissal for a refuse worker at North West Leicestershire District Council
Mr Harthan has recently acted successfully for Respondents at trial
- Dismissal of Unfair Dismissal claims from School support staff (Liverpool City Council)
- Dismissal of an Unfair Dismissal claim for a manual worker from a Construction company
- Dismissal of a campaign manager from a charitable organisation
Free Speech and Article 10 Rights
Mr Harthan has a keen interest in Privacy, Defamation and Libel Law and is currently instructed by a journalist / social commentator in defending a claim relating to publication of information on social media which the Claimant in the case alleges to constitute misuse of private information.
Articles and Briefings
Mr Harthan has written briefings in relation to his practice areas and is always happy to be approached by instructing Solicitors with queries on an informal basis;
- “We have instructed Peter on a number of difficult matters and I have been impressed with his grasp of the fine detail and his sound and pragmatic advice. We had a successful outcome to a Personal Injury case recently where liability was disputed and he was instrumental in achieving this result.” John Ainley, Senior Partner, North Ainley Halliwell
- “Peter Harthan” is an engaging and brave advocate. If he believes he is right then he sticks to his guns and really fights for his clients. He is thorough, pragmatic and user friendly. He has a good grasp of Credit Hire Law and is tenacious but at the same time, where required, measured and is a steady pair of hands. An impressive performer” Kevin Coyne, Partner Coyne Learmonth
- “Peter is a very good barrister who has always dealt with matters for me on a swift, efficient and thorough basis. He also has a realistic and sensible view towards retainers and fees. I have had no hesitation in recommending him to colleagues within the firm.” David Hughes, Solicitor, Minards Pavlou
- “Despite an independent witness, who was a driving instructor, blaming my motorcyclist client for the rta, Peter was prepared to represent my client on a CFA at Trial. The result was a 100% win for the client who phoned me the next day to thank me for instructing such an excellent barrister”, Rita Krumins, Partner, Canter Levin & Berg
Manchester Metropolitan University: BVC (Very Competent) 2007
Kalisher Scholarship award from the Kalisher Trust 2007
Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall) – Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) 2:1
Manchester Grammar School, A Level Maths, English and British Government & Politics all Grade ‘A’
St Chad’s Primary School, Uppermill, Oldham
Liverpool Barristers Cricket Team
Liverpool Ramblers Football Club
Qualified Rugby League youth coach (Level 1)
Before entering legal profession, taught English in Shaoxing, China and also worked in IT